Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A Video Dump

So basically anytime I see something particularly interesting/unique/funny, etc. I just whip out my handy digital recorder (thanks Mama!) and hit the big red button. True story: I carry it in my pocket in place of a cell phone to remind me to record often.

And so, in no particular order of importance rhyme or reason (nope, they're not even chronological) are little videos of my life in Korea.

Note: I watched all of these prior to uploading which means you're only getting a sampling of the videos because I find myself really annoying as a narrator. You also have my sincerest apologies for the narrating you do get. I mostly do it to help me remember why I was recording and what the subject matter of the recording is...and because I have this disease where I think I'm funny.

Video 1: Jet Air Dryer

In some bathrooms they have regular run-of-the-mill hand dryers. They don't work here at all. It's too humid and the dryers just are not powerful enough. However, at legit places (like the airport, movie theater, and Costco--yes, Costco) they have these super-high-powered air dryers. They're kind of the equivalent of the dryers in car washes, but for your hands. The difference? These work! I can stick my dripping-wet hands in there and they come out desert dry. I am fascinated by them.



Video 2: Filming at EV

It is common for different companies to film different things at EV. This is for a laundry detergent commercial. And yes, those are bubbles. Lots and lots of bubbles :)



Video 3: The Price of Feel-Goodery

There are lots of Western food items in Korea. Some of them have been rather mainstreamed. Most things we recognise from home are actually marketed by a company here by the name of Lotte (low-tay). Like Oreos, Post and Kelloggs cereals, Pringles, etc. However, there are some things that one must pay premium price for. Like this Maple Syrup.


(Update: Last night when we were at Costco I saw a quart of Maple Syrup for $46 and a quart of honey for almost $50. Adam said, "There must not be any bees in Korea.")

Video 4: Photo Op

Tons of tourists come through EV each day, and nearly all of them are snap-happy camera-toters. There is also another, more specific market for taking pictures in the Village. Wedding photos. I've seen several couples in the six-seven weeks I've been here.



Video 5: Primary Children Singing

A woman in our ward turned 70 years old, so the ward planned a surprise potluck for her. As one of the gifts the Primary sang her a birthday song. My heart melts every time at this...



Video 6: The Birthday Party

This was actually a precursor to the previous video. It features the buffet of traditional Korean food and a look at the building where we meet! This is taking place in the chapel/gym/cultural hall/stage on the second floor of the two story (well, three if you count the basement) building.



Video 7: Meister Artwork

In my earlier video about Meister I forgot to include my favorite part--the artwork! I'm pretty sure you cannot see all of the detail, but I love this stuff! I seriously am mesmerized by it every time we go.



Video 8: Green Space

During our first foray into a neighboring town called Ilsan we happened upon a lovely walkway designed as green space in the downtown area. A Korean coworker explained that Ilsan did not develop organically, but was a planned community, and people from Seoul have been moving there because they like it so much. We like it, too.



Video 9: The Not-So-Friendly Neighbors to the North

On a map if you look at Paju City, or read about it's location it appears to be about 45 miles from North Korea. WRONG! We are within swimming distance. Literally. This shows the meager boundary between the North and South.


2 comments:

  1. They have those hand driers at BYU and I have decided that when we have our own house we will definitely have those in our bathrooms. (Scott laughs every time I say this)They are probably outrageously expensive but they are so cool! And think how much more sanitary than a hand towel it would be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok the kids singing the Primary song melts my heart too. I'm so glad you shared it and I'm so glad you get to be part of it (and we've got to convince mom to get on and watch it!) And...your proximity to Kim Jong is making me a little nervous. Yuck! Thanks for sharing! Love you tons!

    ReplyDelete