Sunday, August 12, 2012

Achievement and Pride

Prompt: Share about something you achieved that you're extremely proud of.

Yeah...this is hard for me. In part, because I'm a prideful person and think that just about everything I do is awesome (this is part sarcastic, and part true. seriously). As I've recognized this trait in myself I've worked on being more humble. Humility does not come easy to the proud.

When I maneuver my gaze into a more exterior lens I think, What have I done that other people would think is cool? If I told a story about what I've done what would make people's jaws drop in amazement and admiration? (I'm telling you, humble people don't think this way.) And nothing comes to mind.

Sure, I've won awards and honors for my writing. I volunteered 18 months of my life to service work. I graduated from University Magna Cum Laude.

But so have millions of others!

Did I forget to mention I also struggle with uniqueness? You know, the need to be unique? Cause yeah, I do.
Casting an introspective searchlight, and after pondering all these things I've come up with something. It's not earth-shattering, it's something many people have done. Yet, it's something I've worked really hard for, it's something I've earned, and it's something I will have to work on for the rest of my life.

I've changed.

Shocking, I know. Because, hey, everyone changes, right? Or do they?

I have changed for the better.

In my life I have been allowed to walk through some very hard things, I've also been given magnificent opportunities. And I have allowed them to change me. To me stagnation is death. I seek to learn, to experience, to grow. I know have a great deal of room for improvement, but I am proud of the person I am today and the person I am becoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment